Categories Menu

Posted by on Sep 16, 2020 in Videos |

Sept 15, 2020 Morris-Jumel Mansion by Dr. Lisa Koenigsberg, Ph.D.

Dr. Koenigsberg discusses the history, restoration and French connections of the Morris-Jumel Mansion, which was completed in 1765 as a summer house for British Colonel Roger Morris, his wife, Mary Philipse, and their family on approximately 135 acres of land that was estimated to stretch from the Harlem to Hudson Rivers between what is now 155th and 165th streets. Their country estate was named “Mount Morris” and, being situated on one of the highest points of Manhattan, offered clear views of New Jersey, Connecticut, and all of New York Harbor. In addition to serving as a summer retreat, Mount Morris was also a working farm with fruit trees, cows, and sheep as well as a variety of crops.